Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting


I post this to remind myself what I have changed from GR The Connaught's carrot cake. I had followed this recipe to the last word, the cake was too wet and looked greasy from the syrup, it was not very nice at all. I have since made it without the syrup it was much improved. I much prefer the flavour of butter than sunflower oil and find the mix a bit too dry. I have also made this into a square tin as a slab so I can add lots of cream icing icing. This is the revised recipe.


Ingredients:

100g wholemeal plain flour
100g plain flour
1 tsp ground mixed spice
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
225g carrots
zest of one medium orange
150g dark soft brown sugar
150g melted butter
3 large eggs
120g sultanas
50g desiccated coconut
60g chopped walnuts



For the icing:
300g tub of full fat cream cheese (low fat if you wish)
about 7 -8 tbsp of icing sugar (more or less to your taste)
zest of 1/4 medium orange
juice of 1/2 lemon


Method:

1. Prepare the ingredients; grate the carrot and orange zest, chopped the walnut and weigh the other ingredients. Mix both flours with bicarb.

2. In a large bowl add melted butter and eggs, quick whisk then add flour and mix till combined then add in the rest of the ingredient.

3. Pour into a 18cm square tin or 20cm round tin. Bake for about 50 minutes at 170deg C or till skewer comes out clean.

4. Leave to cool.

6. To make the icing, add all ingredients together and beat till smooth. Spread it on the cake. Ready to eat.

Comments